May 27, 2022
New London High School STEM Lecture Hall
7:45 Groton STA bus picks up Fitch High students
8:00 Groton STA bus picks up Ledyard High students
8:30 Arrive at New London High STEM Program Lecture Hall
• Movement games
• Name games
• Recognition of MTW poets
9:15 Opinion continuum:
• School Resource Officers are not needed in high schools
• I feel heard by teachers in my school/ I feel empowered in my school
• I have an adult in my school whom I can trust
• Teachers have a responsibility to respond appropriately to hate speech
• Most students are supportive of the LGBTQ community
• When administrators come to a More Than Words weekly meeting, the conversation changes.
• I feel like students have good access to physical and mental health services at school.
9:45 Social Justice exercise: Jemal Davis and Rep. Anthony Nolan
• Look at yourself in a mirror: our vision is often distorted and obstructed by social influences.
• How do we fight against those distortions?
• Article in The Day re: Buffalo shootings --> Jemal note to Groton staff
• Questions to pursue:
o Jemal has encouraged teachers to speak out; how can students help teachers deal with racial, ethnic and other forms of hate speech?
o Why are teachers reluctant to speak about racial issues?
o How do we prevent ourselves from becoming numb to mass shootings?
o How do we create a safe space for dialogues?
o How do we identify allies and buddies to support our efforts?
10: 30 In small group and then report out to large group:
• What have you done individually or observed done to promote social justice?
• Create list of 10 simple things we can do to promote social justice
11:45 Senior farewells and program comments
12:30 Bus departs New London High
12:50 Drop off Fitch High students
1:15 Drop off Ledyard High students