More Than Words
Oct. 26, 2018
Mashantucket Pequot Museum
7:30 a.m. Pick up New London High students
7::50 a.m. Pick up Fitch High students
8:10 a.m. Pick up Ledyard High students
8:30 a.m. Icebreakers
• Name game
• Movement game
9:15 a.m. Orientation/History:
· Students review programs over last three years.
· What is each school’s recent developments? What are you working on?
9:30 a.m. Opinion continuum
10:15 Annual Theme –
Civility – You make a difference; you have the power to make a positive impact.
· MLK Scholar speeches
· New London Day editorial and cartoon.
· How do we as student leaders promote civil dialog?
· How do kids have conversation with people who don’t agree with the basic facts?
· How do More Than Words students spread the word to other youth
10:45 a.m. Dialogue:
· What are this year’s outreach projects? West Side MS?
· Starfish book and art project? Empower students to make a difference
11:30 a.m. Lunch
12:00 p.m. Museum tour
12:45 p.m. Workshop wrap up
1:00 p.m. Pick up students at Mashantucket Pequot Museum
1:15 p.m. Drop off Ledyard High students
1:30 p.m. Drop off Fitch High students
1:50 p.m. Drop off New London High students
Opinion Continuum topics:
· Kavanagh Nomination – accountable for high school behavior
· Voter ID laws – Voter suppression vw. should we have strict rules requiring identification
· Collin Kaepernick – Sell out to Nike?
· Gender identity – transgender no longer applicable
· Migrant children vs. secure borders
· Smart phones – promote poor communication
· Racial identity