More Than Words
December 17, 2021
New London High School STEM Lecture Hall
7:45 Groton STA bus picks up Fitch High students
8:00 Groton STA bus picks up Ledyard High students
8:30 Arrive at New London High STEM Program Lecture Hall
- Movement Games
- Name Games
- Group challenge
9:30 Issues Forum :
- In small groups, identify the three top issues that are facing our schools this fall
- Large group report out of top issues
- Small group – pick one issue that is most important and propose a solution
- Large group report out
10:30 Listening exercise- small group with large group report out:
- Think a person you admire as a great listener; what qualities do they show that makes you think he or she is such a good listener
- Think of a person who you suspect does not listen well, what qualities or actions do they show that makes you think they are not listening?
- Report out as small group to the large group
11:00 Leadership Skills:
- Think of an effective leader, what qualities does he or she possess? What qualities do you think you need to improve or learn to be an effective student leader?
- Small group talk --> report to full group
12:00 Group challenge
- Toothpicks and marshmallows
- What Mike Graner noticed as groups
12:10 – Fish Bowl
- Cell phone usage in school – personal privacy vs school security
- Oxford Michigan school shooting – student responsibility?
- How can a group like More Than Words make a diffierence?
1:15 Bus departs New London High
1:45 Drop off Ledyard High students
2:15 Drop off Ledyard Fitch students