More Than Words Workshop
October 27, 2016
New London Science and Technology High School
The workshop began with the viewing of a slide show from the Oliver Hazard Perry trip that was held on September 11-14, 2016. Mark Russell created an outstanding show from photos he took while on board the ship.
The group then participated in a series of icebreaker activities. Those activities ended with the recognition of the three Martin Luther King Scholars in the group.
The students were then separated into small groups and asked to identify and explain the leadership lessons they learned aboard the Oliver Hazard Perry. The small groups also explained how the lesson of “Ship First, Crew Second, and Self Last” can apply to their school/community setting.
After lunch, the groups reported out on their dialogue. Each group recorded their comments and suggestions on newsprint (see attached).
The workshop ended with a short opinion continuum and with plans for the next workshop to be held on December 1 or December 2.
Plans for the Future
· Food/Nutrition Issue
· Collect Data
· Freshman Workshops
· School Push-outs
· Teach Civil Discourse
- Healthy Communication Workshops
· Teach Students about Resources
· Awareness of Privilege/Disadvantage
· “Walk On By: A Black Man Ponders His Power to Alter Public Space”
Take first step in integrating students into a comfortable and accepting learning environment.
· Connection Within the Schools
- Team Building Activities
- Common Experiences
Example: Field Day
Dignity Day (Respect)
T-Shirts/Lanyards (L more visible presence)
Mentioned at assemblies
Address issues early (elementary/middle school)
MTW managed chat room to help with emotions/feelings
Whole school impact:
Ship à schools
Crew à classmates/teacher
Self à MTW representatives
Approach the topic of bullying in a different way
· Focus on positive behaviors
· Starfish story à have a discussion
· Ask students about their backgrounds
- How do they appreciate where they come from?
· Self-love (confidence)
· Have students lead the discussion
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
· Shoebox project (collect hats, gloves, etc. for those in need)
· High school assembly
- People will be interested when they see people they know
- Certain classes depending on school
· Advisory à address all classes
· Team building games similar to OHP activities
· Continue restorative justice
· Current events (locally and national)
· Introduction of Ambassadors
- Let people know about us…establish credibility*