La Grua Art Center
7:55 Pick up New London High students
8:25 Pick up Ledyard High students
8:45 Pick up Fitch High students
9:00 Drop off all students at La Grua Art Center in Stonington Borough
9:00- 10:30 Orientation to exhibit: Three Steps Forward and Two Steps Back
- Strategies for viewing social justice artworks – Professor Jessica Cerullo, Conn College
- Artist interpretation and presentation: Pam Gordinier
- Gallery Walk:
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
(give the students post-it notes to record responses)
- How can art address social justice issues?
10:30 – 11:30 Student Icebreakers
- Ain’t Gonna Let Nobody Turn Me Around -song and dance
- Small group large group report out: What issues need to be addressed by More Than Words, what can we do as a group to make a difference?
12:00 – 1:45 Presentation by Kirk Edwards:
- Innovators, Architects, and Trailblazers of America’s Only Original Art Form: Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis.
12:45 – 1:15 School More Than Words Club reports:
- New London
1:15 Group departs La Grua
1:45 Drop off Ledyard High students
2:00 Drop of Fitch students
2:30 Drop of New London students