New London High School STEM Lecture Hall
7:45 Groton STA bus picks up Fitch High students
8:00 Groton STA bus picks up Ledyard High students
8:30 Arrive at New London High STEM Program Lecture Hall
- Name games – Cold wind Blows, you, me, left, right
- Movement games – blog tag with three-people teams base, single person with three-people base
9:15 Beach ball tower construction Team building.
- Assign kids to a group for the day
- Sheets of newspaper and scotch tape
9:45 Mission Review:
- More Than Words is a group of student leaders from Fitch High School, Ledyard High School and the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, and New London High School Multi Magnet Campus High School.
- The mission of More Than Words is to promote resect for diversity, facilitate communication and build trust among members of our community. Goals: develop a group able to respond to crises, work proactively to prevent problems and celebrate diversity.
9:50 Camp Hazen trip review:
- Best aspects of trip?
- Parts of experience we should skip next time?
- Did the Camp Hazen trip support the goals of More Than Words?
10:25 Leadership Discussion:
- “Victims are spectators in their own lives and leaders are players in the human drama around them.”
- Definition of leader small group dialogue and write brief definition on newsprint.
11:00 Ledyard and Fitch incident explanation Who were the leaders, allies, bystanders and how do we make sure leaders honors their safety?
- Small group discussion:
- What part of the stories do you find most important?
- What is the role of leader and the ally?
- Where do the bystanders fit in?
- Did the leaders face possible threats to their safety?
12:15 MLK Scholar Recognition
12:30 Fitch High School student-developed Anti-Bigotry Policy.
- Policy elements how developed
- Why policy is important to school community
- How do we ensure everyone knows about the policy and follows the guidelines?
1:00 Wrap up activities, social sharing
1:15 Bus departs New London High
1:45 Drop off Ledyard High students.
2:15 Drop off Fitch High students.